Friday, October 2, 2009

Lost and Found

I have a new sister. She is 60 years old and her name is Kathy. We located her last weekend and life has been quite the whirlwind ever since. Emails, calls, entries on Facebook and lots of pictures. I poured over the pictures for similarities and pondered nature vs. nurture We are a fascinating science project. She was "lost" to us via adoption 60 years ago, but through the wonderful world of the Internet, we were able to find her. Finally. Karen located Kathy's birth certificates, Sue's daughters found her wedding license and google gave us the rest. I wonder how cavemen ever found their lost children. Perhaps that is really what the cave paintings were for. "I've lost my child - hazel eyes, curly hair - if found please tell her we are looking for her." It's been an amazing week and my heart is full knowing she is with us and now we are four. I didn't know that I'd feel so good about finding her - perhaps it was that first conversation with her that just felt like I knew her forever. As she said, "it just fits." A reunion is scheduled for November; hope I can wait 'til then!